Other PicoMicroYacht

Friday 28 April 2017

PicoMicroYacht goes to Ireland – the Shannon

As I exited into the Shannon the pretty, concise and restricted work of the canal disappeared and was replaced by grandeur and wild beauty, a bit like the Norfolk Broads in England, but without all those the boats.


On distant banks swans were nesting.



I spied people working on the banks, including a reed cutter.



Although I was warm from the rowing there was a biting chill in the air and those fishing were well dressed, although could have looked like pirates in a different context.



The cruisers I did see where on hired boats, easy to spot by the number of fenders they use.



Fishing stages made a good stop-off point for lunch.



After two days I was in Lough Derg, a 20 mile long inland lake large enough to be cautious about the weather.



I started flying my Irish courtesy flag (a flag to be flown by a ship visiting another country), as I crossed the lough.



The wind can get up very quickly. At one point I stopped on the lough to observe the waves and their bumpiness.




Some fierce people fishing strayed near to the navigation mark, so I had to go the wrong side and avoid their fishing lines.



The lake calmed and I was setting off on my way to the base of the lough, towards Killaloe, It had taken three days so far in the Shannon river system and and my final voyage  to Limerick was yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment